Best language learning Q&As on AskaMissionary.com:
- https://askamissionary.com/topic/tools-for-learning-vocabulary/? This is the topic page on “Tools for learning vocabulary” that I just created in AAM.
- https://askamissionary.com/daily/learning-a-language/ “What is the best way for me to learn a language for ministry?”
- “What is it like to learn another language?” https://askamissionary.com/daily/learning-language/
- https://askamissionary.com/daily/known-before-going/ especially the late entry entitled “I wish I had known about language learning and missionary relationships.”
How to start learning a language:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpkZKMN9tDs 10 min ok
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmdJYJGdVJs 12 min ok
There are a lot of videos on YouTube with tips on learning a new language. Most have some good points. You will quickly see that there are a lot of ways to go about it.
Tips for language learning:
- Make it enjoyable, learn the way you enjoy – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_XVt5rdpFY
- You need an effective method for reviewing vocabulary, create a system or routine that works for you and then keep at it!
- Create a routine for practice! Listen on your drive to work or for 15 min over breakfast.
- Buy a basic pocket dictionary! Six months in you will probably be ready to buy a thicker, more advanced dictionary, but the basic one is easy to carry with you.
- Get a list of the 500 most used words! Learn the 100 most common verbs and how to conjugate them ( for Spanish see https://www.spanishdict.com/guide/the-100-most-common-spanish-verbs) (or see a site like https://lingolex.com/verbs/popular_verbs.php)
- Create a list of the 20 most common words related to: colors, time, weather, vehicles, actions, prepositions, kitchen, sports, house, the body, emotions, descriptions of people, greetings, family members
- Great tools for learning vocabulary
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z142DraQEfE 6 min, How to Improve Your Vocabulary – Study Tips – Build Vocab – good, covers all the pieces
- Grammar is like glue. It holds all the parts of the language together, in one place.
- https://www.justlearn.com/blog/what-are-the-best-language-apps-to-learn-grammar some grammar apps
- https://www.fluentu.com/blog/grammar-language-learning/ 10 Hints to Take the Mystery Out of Learning Grammar in a Foreign Language – pretty good
- The Modern Method to Learning Grammar in a Foreign Language https://www.fluentu.com/blog/how-to-learn-grammar-in-a-foreign-language/
Use audio and online courses for the first 100 words and basic grammar. After that they should only be used for reference and nothing more.
Studies have shown that the most common 100 words in any language account for 50% of all spoken communication. The most common 1,000 words account for 80% of all spoken communication. The most common 3,000 words account for 99% of communication.6
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Y-vE15l0Y How to Learn a Foreign Language – Study Tips – Language Learning – Very good overview of language learning!
- 5 ways word-forms can change (grammar) – time, gender, pronouns, prepositions, mode https://gurmentor.com/what-are-the-challenges-in-learning-a-new-language/
Learning the Pronunciation:
- https://www.ouinolanguages.com/tips/questions/important-pronunciation-language-learning/ The Importance of learning pronunciation as you start!
- https://omniglot.com/language/pronunciation.htm Pronunciation and listening comprehension – a good detailed article
- https://thepolyglotist.com/2016/08/18/10-best-ways-improve-pronunciation/ 10 Best Ways to Improve Pronunciation in a Foreign Language Good practical ideas
- https://blog.fluent-forever.com/pronunciation/ Has some good detailed comments about pronunciation
Putting it all together with conversation!
- https://www.fluentu.com/blog/educator/foreign-language-speaking-activities/ very good! 7 Foreign Language Speaking Activities That Simulate Real-world Conversation
- https://www.fluentu.com/blog/practice-languages-online/ 5 Crazy Effective Resources for Practicing Languages Online
- https://blog.chatterbug.com/en/the-role-of-conversation-practice-in-second-language-learning/ The Role of Conversation Practice inSecond Language Learning very good, but long
- Family pictures and pictures of people doing activities are great conversation starters in language learning
- Search term – “foreign language conversation practice”
Search terms and phrases:
- Benefits of learning a foreign language
- Difficulty learning a new language
- Difficulty of learning languages
- Language learning problems
- Tips for learning a foreign language
www.fluentu.com has a good number of excellent articles in their blog section!