Questions about Daily Life Overseas!
What can you expect when it comes to daily life as a missionary overseas? What is it really like? Obviously that depends on whether you are in the jungle or a big city, but here are some great comments by those living there now!
Communication With Supporters
- How much time and energy should a missionary expect to put into communication with people back home?
- How do I write newsletters?
- What do missionaries wish they had known before they first went?
- What is hard about life as a missionary?
- When it comes to interpersonal relationships with fellow missionaries, what should I expect? Will we get along?
- What does day-to-day life look like on the field? What is a typical day for a missionary?
Language and Culture Learning
- What is it like to learn another language?
- What is the best way for me to learn a language for ministry?
- Why is it valuable to learn the language and the culture together?
- How long does it take to learn a language?
- Can I become a missionary if I don’t want to learn another language?
Culture Shock and Stress
- How do I learn how to deal with culture shock?
- How do missionaries living in remote areas or who have few team members deal with loneliness and isolation?
- How do I learn to prevent burnout when I become a missionary?
- What do missionaries think about bribery and respond when they are expected to pay bribes and “special fees”?
- How do missionaries respond to the many requests by nationals to help them get to the US? Especially when you have doubts about their intentions and motives for going?
- How does a missionary deal with having to leave the mission field and the relationships he or she has developed with people along the way when their time has come to an end?